We hope you have joined us at some of our recent events, including Green Drinks the first Tuesday of each month at the Firesky Resort and the smoking hot networking event last week at Cartel Coffee with the Green Chamber Board.
You may have noticed we have increased the frequency of our communication to keep you informed of what we’re up to Advancing a Sustainable Arizona Economy.
We genuinely want to provide content that is helpful to you and your business and we encourage your input, feedback and comments on our Facebook page.
We believe inviting and being open to input and comments is essential in serving our Members and other subscribers. Our openness also invites comments like these:
Who are you people? Are you promoting that climate change is happening (it isn’t) and that the government will fix it (they won’t)? Take me off your list!
In my younger days long, long ago, that would have initiated a series of heated emails and perhaps even a final phone call before hitting the delete button. Today, we simply archived the email address.
My business partner and fellow Business Development Director for the Green Chamber of Commerce, Andrew Kolikoff, is a former Professor at a New York university, non-profit director for an organization focused on sustainability and has decades of experience in the arena of sustainable construction.
In comparison to Andrew, I can spell G-R-E-E-N if I am allowed to buy a couple of vowels.
Andrew could go toe-to-toe with anyone on the scientific facts regarding climate change, why it is proven fact, why we must do something about it and numerous strategies we should pursue!
Here are some facts to consider:
- Average global temperatures increased by about 1 degree Celsius over the 20th century.
- The US contains only 5 percent of the world's population, but contributes 22 percent of the world's carbon emissions.
- 15 percent of carbon emissions come from deforestation and land use change.
- The Golden Toad is thought to be the first species to go extinct because of climate change.
- Personal cars and trucks in the United States emit 20 percent of the United States' carbon emissions.
- Air conditioning and heating account for almost half of electricity use in the average American home.
- Climate change is linked to stronger hurricanes, more drought and increased coral deaths from bleaching.
- Climate change is linked to an increase in disease-carrying pests that lead to the increased spread of diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, lyme disease and West Nile virus.
Andrew would also make a strong case for government’s role in affecting change, which is a debate for another day! The debate with the gentleman who commented above would accomplish nothing, so why bother?
I suggest the reason to bother is because doing nothing, simply because some people choose to reject the facts, is surrendering our responsibilities to pass along a sustainable planet to our children and grandchildren.
So, let’s not surrender.
Get more involved and join us in Advancing a Sustainable Arizona Economy. Join the Green Chamber. Attend our events. Add your voice to our Public Policy Committee. Help us shape a Green Jobs Plan for Arizona that will sustain people, planet and profits!
Let’s take action on passing a healthier planet to our heirs.
But first, let’s dumb green down.
Reject the scientific facts. Reject the logical arguments. Reject the role of government.
But do deal with this:
During the 20th and 21st centuries, we have done more to adversely impact our planet than the cumulative impact of the previous three millenniums combined.
It’s time to stop doing more damage. It’s time to start reversing the damage we have done.
Anything less isn’t dumbed down.
It’s just dumb!
Appreciate Your Comments on
The Green Chamber of Greater Phoenix
Bill Merrow is a Principal at Synergy Sales and Marketing and Business Development Director for The Green Chamber of Greater Phoenix.